In 14th and 15th century, weavers from Varanasi migrated and settled in Baluchar, a village near Jiaghanj in Murshidabad district in Bengal. Char means ‘delta created by silt’. They wove beautiful mulberry silk sarees which were famed for their pictorial borders and pallu, wherein figures of lords and ladies, scenes from the epics the Ramayana and the Mahabharata, Krishna’s playful tricks or dalliance with Radha and other such narrative motifs were woven brocade-style with extra weft yarn. Sometimes these were even topical, showing motor cars or trains and western style carriages. They are similar to brocades but zari is never used, the wonderful patterns being created with only extra weft silk yarn. At one time the brocade weave was only in lustrous white silk which gave the patterns a pearly sheen. They, as with other traditions, died with the British imports and powerlooms. But in 1958 the Baluchari was revived in Bishnupur in West Bengal (the original village of Baluchar was washed away by the Ganges) and now enjoys a sustained popularity.